Many factors determine if people get sick from exposure to indoor pollutants, including the type of pollutant, its concentration, the duration of exposure, the method of exposure (inhalation, ingestion or dermal absorption) and the individual sensitivities of those exposed.
Building conditions, such as the amount of ventilation, age of the building, indoor temperature and humidity levels, can also have an impact.
Many chronic conditions commonly associated with indoor exposure to both VOCs and mould are allergic respiratory diseases.
These diseases may permanently worsen the health of persons affected even after they have been removed from exposure.
These conditions include:
- Hypersensitivity pneumonitis
- Allergic rhinitis (hay fever)